Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

packing

Packing list. Here's what I brought with me. Requirements: 2 checked bags under 80 lbs total, 1 carry on - not impossible.

In the 50+10 Deuter backpack:

Sleeping bag

Top/flat sheet

Headlamp

Raincoat

Tampons

1 thin fleece

1 nike half-zip

1 long sleeved shirt

6 "blouses" (whatever that means)

3 t-shirts

3 tank tops (recommendation: get the ones that have the bra on the inside to hold money for security purposes)

1 pair jeans

2 shorts to sleep in

4 skirts (mid-calf/ankle length to be culturally appropriate)

2 pairs loose/baggy capris (1 is quick-dry material)

2 long (loose fitting) pants (wish I would have brought leggings to wear under my Kanga)

10 undies, 6 pairs/socks

ihome portable speakers for ipod

In the small duffel bag:

4 books

bike helmet with flames on it (you can get kicked out if you're caught riding a bike without one: no joke)

presents for host family (puzzle, braclets, cheap girly hair stuff, coloring pads, crayons: I'm planning on getting a Kanga for my host mama and a knife for my host baba)

78 kashi granola bars (thanks kath)

quick dry travel towel

toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, 3 bars soap, deoderant, sunscreen, floss, q-tips, nail clippers, tweezers, advil, hydrocortozone cream that doesn't work, 1 shampoo, small bottle of all purpose laundry soap, dish detergent (good for washing essential items before going to homestay)

diva cup (good alternative to tampons)

batteries

small alarm clock

small cutting board, skillet, kitchen knife

small notebooks (wish I would have brought flashcards)

lots of pictures of friends & family

pens, sharpies (wish I would have brought markers and highlighters)

bug spray that doesn't work

shoes: chacos, rainbow, toms, running shoes (for all of the running I do)

outlet converter (here they have both British and Europe outlets)

leatherman multitool

In the Mountainsmith carry on:

Netbook (probably about half of our group brought computers, but I'm glad I did)

Camera

journal

book

playing cards, uno, skip-bo

ipod

nalgene

travel pillow strapped to the outside thanks to Jeff's bungee cords

swahili dictionary

What i've bought here so far:

larger spiral notebook

peanut butter

3 Kangas (large pieces of fabric used as skirts or can be turned into dress/shirt/anything)

lock for luggage

more q-tips

toilet paper

I cannot believe it all fit and I was way under weight limit.

Also, PC gave us a ridiculous first aid kit including anything medically you could ever imagine needing (plus mosquito netting.) They also took us into the market on our 4th day here to get things in case we had run out or forgot something important. I was pretty proud of the packing job, couldn't have done it without input from other Peace Corps blogs and tips from family and friends who had traveled to africa, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment